Thursday, September 24, 2009

Maxine Marx, RIP


Another link to the Brothers is broken: Chico's daughter Maxine Marx passed away last week at the ripe age of 91.
.
Maxine was the author of Growing Up With Chico, a hugely enjoyable memoir and - I believe I'm correct in saying - the only book to date devoted solely to the great Leonard Marx. (Whereas books solely on the subject of brother Julius currently stand somewhere in the higher squillions.)
.
In the book, she recalls that one of the last things her father said to her before his death was:
"Remember, honey, don't forget what I told you. Put in my coffin a deck of cards, a mashie niblick, and a pretty blonde."
.
Maxine Marx, hail and farewell!
.
(Thanks to Jennifer at Flappers and Flickers and Silent Stanzas for the tip-off.)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

that's so sad.. and I can't believe Chico's daughter was 91! How old would he have been?!

Matthew Coniam said...

By my maths, he'd have been a very healthy 122...

Skinny Arbuckle said...

RIP Maxine. Do you know where she's being buried? I read her book when I was in high school and loved it. She had a lot of love for her father, warts and all.

Matthew Coniam said...

Yes, it's a sweet book.
I don't know where they put her, I'm afraid.
That Mikael geezer at marxbrothers.org is probably your best for that kind of thing. I'm guessing you want to take a photo. I loved those ones on your blog, especially George Reeves.

Anonymous said...

she was my grandma, literally. We all miss her a tremendous deal. She was an amazing woman. Everyone always talks about what she wrote about chico, but no one ever talks about who SHE was.

well, she was my grandma, and she was an amazing woman.

Matthew Coniam said...

Well I can't talk about who SHE was because I never knew her. But if you'd like to tell us more we'd love to hear.

Anonymous said...

Kinda nuts that the person who owned up to say that Maxine was his/her grandmother never said anything. Well, I knew Maxine. She was a casting director at Cunningham& Walsh, an advertizing agency in NYC.
All I can say is she was a very nice lady, with all due respect.

Matthew Coniam said...

Yes, odd. Just goes to show that you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't make them drink.
Good to hear she was as pleasant as she seemed in the documentaries.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yes my friend she was I only know her from tv but she was a lady of grace and class may she rest in peace

yanmaneee said...

balenciaga trainers
adidas nmd
yeezy 500
timberland
coach outlet
yeezy boost
lebron shoes
lebron 16
michael kors handbags outlet
coach factory outlet